THURSDAY, SEPTEMBER 08, 2011
Big 12 Drama !
Dear Big 12 Conference,
Please get your house (league) in order! Quickly ! The fans want to concentrate on there favorite football team. They don't want to worry about where there team will be playing next year.
I normally write about baseball but I couldn't resist writing about the Big 12 drama going on. I find myself checking the internet to get more news on the developments of the Big 12, SEC, and PAC 12 realignment. It's getting ridiculous. I love the Big 12 and would like it to stay together. I think its better for these schools because of tradition, and regional rivalries. Oklahoma and Oklahoma State aren't Pacific coast schools. Why would they want to travel to the west coast? Missouri in the Big East or SEC? What? Please Big 12 get it together. Keep at least 9 and go get BYU or Louisville to make 10. Sounds like a plan that makes since for TV money but first we need everyone in the conference to commit.
Here is my top 5 list with issues I have with this Big 12 drama.
1. Oklahoma make a decision already. We all know you have been contacted by various conferences. We all know you are big stuff. Get a meeting together with all your important people and either stay in the BIG 12 or go to the PAC 12. DON'T drag Iowa State, Baylor, Kansas State, Kansas, Texas Tech, and to a lesser degree Missouri through this. If you go be prepared to be sued because you agreed to stay and accepted the TV money deal.
2. Texas make some kind of concession of money from your Longhorn network to the pool of money in the BIG 12. I know Texas you don't have to give any money from your Longhorn Network that you started but it would be wise to give 10% or 15% to the BIG 12 to split between the other schools. At least something or relations aren't going to get any better between you and the other Big 12 schools. I doubt this will happen but Texas needs to get relations improved or problems will resurface. TEXAS make a PEACE offering to the other schools that can't stand you.
3. Please tell David Boren of Oklahoma to be quiet. He keeps making statements. WHY? If your Oklahoma why not lay low and do things behind the scenes (out of the media). It seems like he wants personal attention. My favorite statement he made was, "Oklahoma will not be a wallflower". Okay, well thats fine but if you implode the BIG 12 conference don't be suprised if lawsuits come your way.
4. I want to believe Dan Beebe Big 12 commissioner is doing his job but its hard to believe. How can we have this BIG 12 Drama come up twice within a year? Can we get every school to sign a three year deal ? Then have a clause in the contract that if you leave before three years you have to pay a sum of money to the Big 12 that would be so much no one would leave. I am not a attorney but I think that would make sense.
5. Why did it take so long for Baylor, Iowa State, Kansas State, Kansas, Missouri, and Tech to band together and take issue with Texas A&M leaving the conference? These schools could of done this from the very beginning and said to Texas A&M I would think twice before just leaving our conference and causing financial hardship to all the schools your leaving behind in the BIG 12. These schools have some very intelligent people and I would think they would have thought of this before A&M had one foot out the door.
I am happy the underdogs like Baylor and Iowa State are standing up for themselves. They need to look out for there best interests. All the media every talks about is what Oklahoma or Texas needs to do because they have all the power and prestige in the Big 12. Not eveyone is a Texas or Oklahoma fan in the Big 12. If the Big 12 does break up then I feel sorry for the underdogs because they may have problems finding a good conference to call home. At least these 6 schools are doing something about it. These 6 schools in the Big 12 aren't being wallflowers. Thanks for the quote David Boren.
Posted At 06:09 PM