Please Read! Custom Glove Agreement prior to checkout! Look over your details. This is helpful when ordering.
Apr 10th 11:04pm
We love our Rico customers and we want to make you the best custom glove possible and make it exactly to your specifications. So its very important that you know the size you want/need. Also if you have questions that you ask us or someone that is familiar with glove sizing prior to ordering a custom glove. IF you ask after you order that doesn't help because the order will be started immediately after the order is placed. So please ask sizing questions prior to purchase.
Please follow these tips when ordering off our customizer.
1. Please know the size you need and double or triple check that size you selected at checkout prior to purchasing. That way if your making multiple gloves then you may have forgot to select the correct size again on a new glove you started. Click on details at checkout to verify the size you selected to make sure that is what you want and need prior to clicking purchase.
2. Please check all your color selections and every detail at checkout. The details are listed for size, colors, webstyle, name stitching, etc. Make sure its 100% what you want before clicking purchase. The glove order you selected doesn't change once you hit purchase. Meaning whatever you have selected is what we will make. The customizer won't change anything that you selected.
3. Please double check your name spelling and font. Also the color of the stitching for the name. We are going to make the glove exactly how you input your name. IF you don't capitalize your first or last name then we will make it just as you ordered it. We often see last names without a capital on the first letter of the last name. It's a common customer error when ordering or maybe not but we only make what you input for the name. So please check that prior to purchase. We don't know your intentions when you enter a name.
4. Double check your address. Please enter it completely at checkout. Occasionally, we receive incomplete or a completely wrong address that is entered by our customers. Please verify your address and double check that its where you want your custom glove to be sent. We don't know where you live so its important for shipping purposes that you give us the correct address. Thank you!
Custom Glove Agreement: Custom glove orders take 6-8 weeks (42-56 days) from the order date to be shipped and delivered. All glove boxes require a USPS delivery signature at the address you provide on your order. Please Note!- No changes, cancellations or refunds are allowed after the order has been placed. So please double or triple check your details on your order prior to placing your order. Also check your shipping address! Thank you!
Mar 1st 1:56pm
Occasionally, we see customers make an error when ordering a youth custom glove. Ultimately, we want you to get the best glove for you or your child. Please read below for some great information from Rico. This information can be applied to youth gloves in general.
Top 3 things you need to know before ordering a youth custom glove!
1. You need to know that the best high end leather and a younger player don't go together! A kid who is 9 or 10 shouldn't be using the highest end leather even IF Dad wants to get him the best leather. The high end leather needs break in time and requires a teenage or adult hand. High end leather is designed for durability for professional or college play. If another company tells you that the high end leather glove they make for youth is $300 plus and its an easier break in for a kid then run away from them because the leather they are giving you is smooth cowhide leather (not kip or steer hide leather). They are just charging you more for smooth cowhide or tumbled leather and they can call the series whatever they like. No leather exists that is soft with no break in time that is considered high end leather. Softer leather exists in smooth or tumbled cowhide that is cut from a softer area from the hide but its not considered a high end leather in the glove industry. (marketing by companies can differ though so it's important to know the truth)
2. Know your length size you have now! If you want a little bigger length size then go up a quater (.25) inch. Occasionally we have customers that want to go up a full 1 inch in length size and often that is way too much. A quarter (.25) inch in length is bigger and if you want a significant jump in length size go up a half (.50) inch in length. Our youth sizing is designed for minimum 9 year old upto 12 year old or an adult with a smaller hand. The youth sizing we offer isn't designed for 5-8 year olds. In the future we may do that sizing. We recommend Prime Series for leather for most youth players. We do allow customers to order youth sizing in our higher end leather Star Series. We leave the leather decision upto our customers.
3. Most youth players don't need a 12 inch length size! You often see youth players using too long a length. The length size I would advise most often is 11.5 inch, 11.25, or even 11 inch. A 9 year old using a 12 inch length size even if its tapered around the hand is too long a length. Pro players who are adults use a 11.5 inch length in the infield at SS. So why would a kid that plays infield or even outfield that is 9 years old use a 12 inch length? My advice is don't do that. If you need size recommendations you can ask us firstname.lastname@example.org or ask someone who really knows sizing for kids. That wouldn't mean in most instances another Mom or Dad on your team. Sorry for the rant but I had to tell you the truth. :) Bigger length gloves don't mean better. Its important for younger players to be in the smaller length size 11.25 or 11.5 so they can control and close the glove. If need to know more reasons why please contact us and we can explain it more.
Mar 8th 11:11am
The best leather for Rico Gloves for pro, college, and elite high school is the Ultra Series. Ultra Series features Japanese tanned kip leather. This type of leather is truly high end and requires some break in time. It's lighter weight and kip leather was popularized by Japanese professional players. Kip leather wouldn't be ideal though for a younger player that is 9-11 years old that doesn't have the hand strength to break in this type of leather.
The Star Series is our 2nd best leather series. Its ideal for younger teens and adult players or customers looking for a great glove at a reasonable price point (for a custom glove). The Star Series is made from steer hide leather and is very durable and can be used for high level players in pro, college, and HS. Steer hide leather requires break in time. We offer Star Series in youth sizing but the youth player will need some break in time on for a steer hide leather glove. Steer hide leather has been used by professional players for a very long time and the advantage of it is durability.
The Prime Series is the lowest cost custom that we make. Its made of smooth and tumbled cowhide leather. Some color choices have a slightly tumbled look to the leather. Its a very good custom for the price point and most companies can't beat our prices for a custom glove with this quality. We recommend this leather for any player wanting a shorter break in time. Prime Series is recommended for younger youth players but any level player (except pro and college) can use smooth or tumbled cowhide leather.
Youth sizing is for players that are at least 9 years old and ideal for players ages 9-12 years old. Some 13 year olds or adult with a smaller hand could use youth sizing because the wrist is more of a tapered sizing (not a super small youth sizing that is seen in 5-8 year old gloves). Our youth sizing is not recommended for 5-8 year olds based on sizing and leather. The youth leather we recommend most is in Prime Series. We offer the youth sizing in Star Series but will need a longer break in period.
Mar 8th 10:03am
The quick answer is functionality. The reason Youth gloves for 5-12 year olds are made of a lower grade of cowhide leather or many times synthetic leather (or plastic/polyurethane) is because the strength of the hand of a 5-12 year old can't break in the highest end quality leather glove. That is why you typically see youth gloves made of synthetic leather or softer cowhide leather. These gloves are squeezable for a kid that age. An MLB or college high grade leather glove won't be functional for 5-12 year old. This leather doesn't work for them and I would advise against trying to get high end leather for kids under 12 years old. What would be the point of getting the highest quality leather for a kid under 12 if they can't squeeze the glove? Its not functional and they can't break it in right away.
At Rico Gloves our youth gloves sizing starts at the minimum of 8 years old and goes to approximately 12 years old or a teenager/adult with a smaller hand. We make our Youth gloves from tumbled cowhide leather and its stiff when new but the break in is fairly quick if the glove is being used regularly. I often have the question that my kid is 9 and plays elite/major baseball and he needs the high end leather. A 9 year old doesn't need the high end leather because it may take him 6 months to break it in with his hand strength. The parent is better off getting the tumbled cowhide leather used for Youth Series that he can break in faster and then replacing the glove in a year or two if needed. The functionality is much more important than the idea of getting the high end most expensive glove used by MLB and college players. This is my personal opinion and at Rico Gloves we try to make a custom glove that is ideal for age and the level of play. We do offer the high end leather for MLB, college, and Elite HS players in our Select and Ultra series gloves. These series of gloves just aren't ideal for youth players.
Feb 22nd 8:26am
Learn about our Youth Series leather and glove quality.
Sep 26th 12:45am
First, no matter what anyone tells you. Its impossible to get a high end custom pro leather glove for a $140 dollars and under.
You can of course get a custom glove for under $150 dollars but it won't be high end custom. The leather is the difference.
The highest end leather custom gloves will be the most expensive from any company. (minimum $250 and up custom)
A high end non-custom glove will be lower cost (relative to high end custom) because it can be mass produced.
(see sporting goods closeouts)
Most glove companies have several series of gloves that try to hit a few different price points.
Rico Gloves actually hits every price point. Select and Ultra are the high end gloves. Star Series is mid-range custom.
Prime and Youth series is the lower end for a custom.
IF you want Prime series that will be the lowest cost custom we make. Its a great custom for the price that you pay BUT you can't compare it to our highest end Select or Ultra series or another companies high end custom glove.
IF you want the highest end custom glove from Rico Gloves then I advise that you get our Select Series or Ultra Series gloves.
This is what we make for professional players. Be aware that high end custom gloves require breaking in so if your under 12 a high end custom probably is not a good choice.
Oct 17th 1:18pm
Do you need to clean and condition your baseball glove?
At Rico Gloves we have developed our conditioner to aid in breaking in your new glove, or to restore the appearance and supple feel of your favorite already broken in while maintaining a dry-to-the-touch feel. Rico Glove Care and Condtioner is formulated with Vitamin E to breathe new life into your glove or batting gloves. Rico Glove Care is formulated with UV protection to resist cracking, fading, and discoloration caused by harmful solar rays. Rico Glove Care and Conditioner works excellent on all the new high quality leathers, leatherette, and faux leather gloves. The condtioning formula penetrates deep into the leather for the softest feel on any leather surface. Rico Glove Care and Conditioner has natural cleaning abilities to remove light stains from the surface. Rico Glove Care and Conditioner restores the natural leather scent back to your glove. Rico Glove Care prevents your original leather from becoming dry, aged, and cracked. Treat your glove right with Rico Glove Care and Conditioner.
These are the advantages of using this Rico Glove Care and Conditioner.
- Softens and reconditions the leather.
- Protects leather from harmful UV rays.
- Doesn't make glove heavier. Its light.
- After absorbing it isn't greasy on leather (like vaseline or nokona glove conditioner).
- Doesn't mess up your clothing.
- Conditioner doesn't permanently darken the leather.
- Also for use on horse saddles and bridles, All motorcycle leathers, leather jackets, For use on smooth leathers.
- Not to be used on aniline leathers, suede, or nubuck
If interested in Rico Glove Care and Conditioner please let us know. We will have this new amazing product available for sale in our store in September of 2015. Please contact us at email@example.com
Personal Testimonial from Tony Ross Maddi :
First, I played pro baseball for 8 years. I have had a lot of gloves and used a lot of glove conditioning products. Mink oil, vaseline, shaving cream. Personally, I believe that this Rico Glove Care and Conditioner is the best product that I have ever used. Mink Oil weighs the glove down and darkens the leather. Not something I wanted. Vaseline seemed okay but I knew there had to be something better. I know this product is better than anything that I have ever used before. It conditions the leather and softens it at the same time. It absorbs into the leather without permanently staining it darker. You don't have to use a lot of this conditioner. Start by using a small amount and work it into the leather. If anyone needs any glove conditioner for there gloves please contact me at firstname.lastname@example.org. This conditioner is the only thing I recommend for any kind of baseball glove and Rico Baseball Gloves.
Tony Ross Maddi- Rico Custom Gloves
Oct 17th 1:16pm
The most common mistakes people make when ordering a custom Rico youth glove. Please read this!
1. Customer- My son is 8 years old almost 9 and is a big kid. I think he needs an adult glove so he can use the glove for a long time. Then he can grow into it. Then I don't have to buy another glove for a long time.
Glove Pro Expert Answer- An 8 or 9 year old shouldn't be using an adult size glove no matter how big the kid. The glove needs to fit around the hand better. An adult glove will be falling off a youth players hand. A youth series glove would be the best choice because it will have a better fit around the hand. At Rico Gloves the recommendation is definitely to use our Rico Youth series for kids 8 to 11 or 12 years and older (if the hand isn't big.) Don't get your 8 or 9 year old an Adult glove!
2. Customer- I want the Youth series glove but I want the Select series leather on the glove because I know its probably the best leather that Rico Gloves makes.
Glove Pro Expert Answer- Our Select Series is really great for elite HS, College, and Pro players. The Select Leather for a Youth Player would be the wrong choice. The youth player would spend a season or two trying to break in a Horween Leather glove like Select series. The Youth Series leather is the best choice and is made of premium cowhide leather that is tumbled so it will break in easier for the youth players. The reason you don't see the high-end leather on youth gloves from any company is because youth players can't break in those gloves. Its better to go with something that best suits the youth player for the season coming up.
3. Customer- My son wants a certain color not available on Rico youth series. I am thinking about just ordering an adult size glove so we can get the color he wants.
Glove Pro Expert Answer- Any company will make what you order from a Glove Builder but if your son is 8-11 years old and needs a youth size then its best to order the youth series because the way the glove fits on the hand. Don't change your order to an Adult glove when your youth player needs a youth size glove. Don't base your custom glove order on a color. Its the fit for the player that is the most important.
4. Customer- My son is 6 years old and I want to get him a Rico youth series glove. Will it work for him?
Glove Pro Expert Answer- The quick answer is no not like it should. Our youth series is for youth players that are at least 8 year old to 13 years old. The Rico youth series isn't a Tball size glove like you would see at Walmart or those type of retailers. The youth series is much better quality and bigger around the hand than the cheap Tball gloves you see at those retailers. Our recommendation at Rico Gloves is to wait until your son or player is at least 8 years old before ordering a custom youth series glove.
These are the most common mistakes customers make when ordering or not ordering a youth series glove from Rico Gloves. Please let us know if you have any questions about gloves by posting here or contacting us at email@example.com
Sep 4th 2:23pm
At Rico Gloves, we typically get the question, "What size glove should I get my child?" . We will give you are best advice in this blog post! Please read below.
First, let's go over some details of why we have certain sizes for positions.
The reasons for a smaller glove in the infield are below-
The ball won't get lost in the glove when trying to get the ball out.
Quicker hands on transferring the ball on double plays.
This equals getting the ball to first faster.
The reasons for a closed web for pitchers-
Main reason is the hitters won't be able to see movement of hand.
Pitchers won't give any tips on pitch coming with a closed web.
The reasons for a larger outfield glove-
Possibly a better extension on extending the glove for a fly ball on the run.
Outfield gloves should be bigger but they don't have to be 13 inches or more to get the job done.
RECOMMENDATIONS ON SIZE from Rico Gloves-
INFIELD GLOVE SIZING:
5-6 years old- Probably too young for a custom youth glove unless you are going to save it until he is at least 7 or 8.
8-9 years old Infield- Definitely go with our Youth Series
Youth 11 inch, 10.75 inch, or if wanting bigger 11.5 inch. 11 inch would probably be best for this age.
10-11 years old Infield- Youth Series
11 or 11.5 inch Youth for infield would be our recommendation. 12 inch youth probably be big unless you want it for outfield.
12 years to Adult Infield- Prime series, Star Series, Select Series, or Ultra Series
11.5 (any infield position)
11.25 inch (if playing 2nd base)
11.75 inch (SS, 3rd, pitch)
12 inch (3rd base, pitch)
OUTFIELD GLOVES SIZING-
8-9 year old Outfield-
Our recommendation is to use the infield sizing for outfield.
The reason is because you dont want the glove falling off your childs hand.
10-11 years old Outfield-
11.5 inch (this will work for outfield at this age
Don't go above 12 inch for Outfield at 10-11 years old
12 years old to Adult Outfield-
12 inch (12 inch will work for ages 12-13 years old)
12.25 inch (great size for smaller outfield glove for adults or teenagers).
12.5 or 12.75 inch (Most typical Outfield size for adults)
13 inch or 13.25 inch (Very large glove for baseball and probably better served for Softball)
We hope this recommendation chart helps you make the right choice in size for a Rico custom glove! If you have any questions please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org. We specialize in making a one of kind custom glove with pro quality leather. Check out our glove customizer www.ricogloves.com/glovecustomizer